Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Check

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Relationships are like Books


If I make a statement..."And the days went by like paper in the wind. Everything changed, then changed again. It's hard to find a friend. It's hard...", would it indicate a lack of companionship or intimacy or an insatiable desire to attain the unattainable?

You make a friend and feel, well, here is someone I have been hoping I'd meet and soon you spend all your time with the person, giving the person your undivided attention. You smile, laugh, marvel, cry and the person gets embedded into your head and you come to a point where you know what the person is all about. you share everything and know everything. Know everything? Umm...thinking again. Let me take that up later.

When you get really comfortable you leave it aside, perhaps, introduce the person to another friend of yours. the stories are re-told and shared and a bond is formed. Finally, it gets to a comfortable stage where it rests a while, quite like a read book, on your book-shelf. One fine day, the person has to move on for whatever reasons. What do you do with the person then? Do you live the relationship everyday? Do you open a page every now and then to re-run what's in it? do you just leave it to gather dust until you need it again?

Relationships are like books. They need to be dusted with care and looked after, nurtured beyond the first flight of read. Life goes on and the books on your shelf remain. You lose some, some tear, some get exchanged for another, some lie there, uncared for, like it has become a part of your surroundings and even if you don't bother too much about it, it is there. The point is, it is valuable to you, that is why it is sitting on your shelf as something that belongs to you. Do you bother about it. Do you dust it simply on the outside and never run a caressing hand on the pages of memories and good things that makes up most of the pages of the book? Does it bother you to see the book dusted on the outside, never mind the termites and silk-worms that eat into the pages, erasing and destroying what was once a beautiful, sought-after part of your life? 

Or...Is it still the way it was the day it came into your life because you made it a part of your everyday life. There is no tomorrow really. Every book I have read for the first time has made me decide whether I wish it belonged to me. I have wished to then have it on my book-shelf so I may read it over and over again. Every time I read a book again, it gives more meaning and depth to a relationship. 

Yet, sometimes, the depth loses its meaning. I have to explore why that happens. Actually, may be I do know. I just am not ready to share that yet. 

Naah! Not yet!

Copyright @Saanjh2010






2 comments:

  1. Love you for sharing this with me..Its simply great..I loved it..and feel like reading it all over again...how do u do it? After all that is on my mind right now.... I can't think straight, leave alone write a single line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Relationships are like books. They need to be dusted with care and looked after, nurtured beyond the first flight of read."
    What a lovely sentence!I love the smell of the books :) Liked it

    ReplyDelete